Forty-seven percent of CHR format P1s have listened to Online Radio in the last week according to new data from The Infinite Dial 2013: Navigating Digital Platforms from Arbitron Inc. and Edison Research. The new data released today for Arbitron clients looks at radio format P1s from nine AM/FM Radio formats: Adult Contemporary, CHR, Classic Rock/Classic Hits, Country, News/Talk/Sports, Public Radio, Religious, Rock, and Urban.
Highlights of the study’s many findings include:
• CHR P1s have the highest Online Radio listening levels with 47 percent having listened in the last week. More than four in ten Public Radio, Rock and Urban P1s also listened to Online Radio in the last week.
- One in three Public Radio P1s have listened to audio podcasts in the past month
- CHR (75 percent), Rock (70 percent) and Urban (67 percent) P1s are the format P1s most likely to own a smartphone
- The vast majority of CHR P1s (82 percent) have a profile on any social network, with nearly half (45 percent) of these listeners using social media several times per day
- Eight percent of the population age 12+, an estimated 20 million, has signed up to receive email from the AM or FM radio station they listen to most; 20 percent of Rock P1s and 18 percent of Religious P1s have done so
“This representative and projectable study looks at how various format P1s use digital platforms, revealing that each format has a unique digital profile. Programmers and brand managers should consider these unique differences when formulating their digital strategies,” said Bill Rose, Senior Vice President of Marketing at Arbitron.
“Ninety-two percent of the population has not signed up to receive emails from the broadcast radio station they listen to most. If broadcast radio programmers are making decisions based solely on their email databases alone, this will not give them the complete picture of the digital media usage and behaviors of all of their P1s,” added Tom Webster, Vice President of Strategy and Marketing, Edison Research.
This study may be downloaded by Arbitron clients free of charge via the Arbitron client website at my.arbitron.com. Previous studies, including the full Infinite Dial 2013 study (released earlier this month), may be downloaded free of charge via the Arbitron and Edison Research websites at www.arbitron.com and www.edisonresearch.com.